Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stir Crazy - Miso Tofu

Upon hearing about my limited diet, most people ask "Well what do you eat then?". I jokingly reply "rice and bok choy". It would be funny if it wasn't so true. The easiest and most cooked meal in my kitchen is a stirfry. I also work at a Japanese noodle house and cook stirfrys for 5 hours every evening for people who don't get the privilege to eat stirfrys everyday. All day. Nothing but. Rice noodles and bok choy. As repetitive as it gets, there is nothing easier to make and I won't lie, I'm tired and lazy most of the time. But I am a big girl. I work hard and deserve to give myself a little extra sometimes. So I surfed over to Vegan Yum Yum to help beef up my stirfry.

My basic stirfry: Rice noodles, red onions, bok choy (on sale for 29 cents a pound this week!), and tomatoes. Throw some garlic in a hot pan with oil, add the veggies, some soy sauce and lemon juice and balsamic and throw the pre-cooked rice noodles in. Why balsamic? Because it's always in my cupboard and it gives the dish a nice acrid taste with the lemon.

Now the Yum Yum - Smokey Miso Tufo. Minus the smokey.

2 Tbs Red Miso
2 Tbs Lemon Juice
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Tamari/Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast

I have a bad habit of not measuring my ingredients and just going by taste so I can't comment exactly on the above recipe, but my approximate use of all ingredients needed a touch less nutritional yeast and little bit of water for a more subtle taste. Baked the tofu and placed it on top of my stir fry. Making the tofu the center piece made me eat in a more conscientious fashion, cutting tofu, adding some noodles to the fork, rather than just shoving it all in my face. Ima defiantly do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment